The question is often asked if braces can improve your oral health. Although it’s widely known that braces can greatly enhance the aesthetic appeal of a smile by straightening out teeth, it is not the only reason braces can be beneficial. Braces can also enhance your mental health by boosting your self-esteem and your self-image. However, some of the greatest benefits that braces can give are those achieved by your oral health. Listed below are some common benefits of braces to give you a healthier smile:
– Straighter teeth can be cleaned much easier, resulting in healthier teeth and gums with less risk for plaque buildup when practicing oral hygiene habits such as brushing and flossing.
– A smile straightened with braces is much more effective and efficient in its important tasks including eating and speaking.
– Malocclusions, also known as bad bites, can lead to TMJ disorders if they are not suitably treated with orthodontic treatments such as braces.
– Braces can help lessen stress put on teeth and make them less prone to grinding and wear, often as the result of bruxism.
– Braces can diminish the risk of teeth being fractured due to misalignments or stress, and make them less prone to injury.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with our orthodontist Dr. Joseph P. Goodson and our team at Joseph P. Goodson DMD, MS, please call us at 512-258-6683. Our orthodontic office is conveniently located in Austin, Texas. Get the smile you’ve always dreamed of with braces today!